Rentals in West Virginia
There are 882,213 housing units in West Virginia with home owners occupying 74.60% and renters accounting for the remaining 25.40%, or 188,511 homes. The average household size of rented homes is 2.22 persons in the state. The average rent for an apartment in West Virginia in the last 12 months has been $1498. The average rents for a 1 bed, 2 bed and 3 bed apartments have been $1253, $1579, and $1575 respectively.
The capitol of West Virginia is Charleston and the population of West Virginia is 1,852,994. The most populated cities in West Virginia are Charleston, Huntington, Parkersburg, Wheeling, and Morgantown.
Weather and Climate
West Virginia is part of the southeastern United States, and contains humid subtropical and humid continental climates. Summer temperatures average around 78 degrees for the high and 59 for the low in the state. Winter temperatures average at a high of 38 degrees and 19 for the low. Expect to see some snow if you go to West Virginia in the winter; the annual average snowfall is 62 inches. Rainfall averages in at 45.2 inches per year.
Men are 40.1 years on average in the state and females 42.6, making the median age for West Virginians 41.2 years. 49.3% of the population is male and 50.7% female. There are 882,213 households belonging to West Virginians, with each home averaging $38,218 in annual income. 13.2% of the population is in poverty, and 14.6% of West Virginia residents do not have any health care coverage or insurance.
Sports Universities and Education
28.50% of West Virginia’s population is enrolled in college or university and 10.9% have a bachelor's degree. The state is home to several universities including West Virginia University, Marshall University, and Fairmont State University. It has no major league sports teams.
Industry and Employment
There are 746,844 employed residents in the state. It takes them average 25.60 minutes to work each day. 4.8% of West Virginia's population is unemployed. Top industries for West Virginia include chemicals, mining, primary metals, stone, clay, and glass products, and tourism.